Hi hair lovers!!!
Happy hump day, today we are going to discuss about hair porosity. What is hair porosity you may ask. Hair porosity is the hair’s ability to absorb moisture. There are three kinds of categories: Normal porosity, Low Porosity and High porosity.
How to test what your hair porosity is:
- Take a few strands of clean hair
- A glass of water
Drop the strands into the glass of water, let the strands sit for 2-4 minutes. If the strands float then you have low porosity, if the strands sink with ease then you have high porosity hair.
What to do now that you know your hair porosity?
For Low porosity hair:
- Since the cuticle is tightly layered, this hair category repels moisture;
- the hair needs moisture rich deep conditioners to eliminate the straw like feel when its touched;
- using heat while deep conditioning its a big bonus.
Oils to use when your hair is Low porosity:
- Grapeseed oil
- Jojoba oil
- Shea butter.
For High porosity hair:
- the cuticles are somewhat much open due to chemical processing, too much manipulation and/or the environmental damage;
- the moisture leaves the hair quicker than it went into the hair.
Oils to use when your hair is High porosity:
- heavy creams and butters.
DiscoveringNatural has a video which you can watch here to see the porosity tests.
What is your hair porosity? How do you deal with your hair porosity?